Lightning’s Defenders Produce At Both Ends In Win
It was Vasilevskiy’s second shutout of the season and sixth of his career. His first came against the Columbus Blue Jackets on October 19th. It was his second career shutout against the Sabres (also, March 3, 2015), which was his first of his career. He improves to 4-0-0 in his last four starts against the Sabres in Buffalo.
With the win the Lightning improve their record to 17-5-2. They are 9-1-1 against the Sabres over their last 11 matchups. The Bolts are now 4-1-0 on the first half of back-to-back games this season in their fifth of 13 back-to-backs in 2017-18.
With the loss the Sabres fall to 6-15-4 on the season. They have now been shutout in back-to-back games for the first time since October 17 and 18, 2014.
- Mikhail Sergachev scored his sixth goal of the season. It came on a Lightning Power Play. He now has 16 points on the season. Entering the game he was tied for sixth among NHL rookies for scoring.
- Tyler Johnson‘s scoreless streak reached 14 straight games but he did pick up an assist, his seventh, on Sergachav’s goal.
- Dan Girardi scored his first goal as a member of the Lightning. It was his 47th career goal in his 789th career game.
- Vladislav Namestnikov and Nikita Kucherov picked up assists on Girardi’s goal.
- It was Namestnikov’s 13th assist this season giving him 23 points on the season in just his 24th game. He had 28 points in 74 games all of last season.
- Kucherov’s assist was his 18th on the season. He has now registered at least one point in 19-of-24 games this season.
Up Next For Lightning:
Tampa Bay finishes their four game road trip in Boston taking on the Bruins on Wednesday night at 7:30.