BUCCANEERS RB DOUG MARTIN & PACKERS CB CASEY HAYWARD NAMED NFL ROOKIES OF MONTH FOR OCTOBER
Running back DOUG MARTIN of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and cornerback CASEY HAYWARD of the Green Bay Packers are the NFL Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Month for October, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: RB DOUG MARTIN, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
- Martin led all NFL players averaging 155.7 scrimmage yards per game during October, 26.2 yards more than Minnesota’s ADRIAN PETERSON (129.5), who ranked second.
- In the Buccaneers’ three October contests, the first-round pick out of Boise State rushed for 296 yards with two touchdowns and caught eight passes for 171 yards and a score. He finished the month with 467 scrimmage yards and three total touchdowns.
- Martin played a major role in Tampa Bay’s success as the Buccaneers posted a 2-1 record and led the NFL averaging 34 points per game and 464 total net yards per game.
- He recorded at least 120 scrimmage yards in all three October contests.
- In the team’s Week 8 win at Minnesota, Martin became the first rookie in the past 25 seasons to rush for at least 135 yards (135) and have 75+ receiving yards (79). He also had a one-yard rushing touchdown and a 64-yard receiving TD in that contest.
· Martin is the fifth Buccaneers running back to be named NFL Rookie of the Month. He joins MIKE ALSTOTT (November 1996), WARRICK DUNN (September 1997), CADILLAC WILLIAMS(September and December, 2005) and LE GARRETTE BLOUNT (December 2010).
· Last season, one running back received the award: Dallas’ DE MARCO MURRAY (November).
DEFENSE: CB CASEY HAYWARD, GREEN BAY PACKERS
- Hayward tied for the NFL lead among all players in October with four interceptions (New York Giants’ STEVIE BROWN).
- All four of Hayward’s interceptions occurred in three consecutive games and he became the first Packers rookie to intercept four passes in a three-game span since 1984 (TOM FLYNN).
- He recorded his first career interception in Week 5 at Indianapolis. The next week at Houston, he had a career-best two interceptions. In Week 7 at St. Louis, he made his first career start and had his fourth interception.
- Hayward’s four interceptions are tied for the third-most in the NFL this season and the most among rookies. He is the only player in the league with four interceptions on the road.
- In addition to his four interceptions, he recorded 13 tackles and five passes defensed in October.
· Hayward is the third Packer to be named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month and the first since 2003. He joins VONNIE HOLLIDAY (September 1998) and NICK BARNETT (October 2003).
· He is the fourth Packer to be named NFL Rookie of the Month. He joins Holliday, Barnett and SAMKON GADO (Offense, November 2005).
2012 NFL ROOKIES OF THE MONTH
QB Robert Griffin III, Washington (Baylor)
DE Chandler Jones, New England (Syracuse)
RB Doug Martin, Tampa Bay (Boise State)
CB Casey Hayward, Green Bay (Vanderbilt)