Johnson Gets Hat Trick And Game Winner
Tyler Johnson recorded his fourth career hat trick (including playoffs) including the game winner as the Tampa Bay Lightning defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 5-4.
Johnson’s hat trick was his first since May 18, 2015 in Game Two of the Eastern Conference Final against the New York Rangers. It was the first career playoff hat trick by a Lightning player in franchise history.
The Lightning pick up their first win on home ice in 2018 and improve to 31-9-3 (65-points) on the year. Tampa Bay extends their winning streak over the Canes to four in a row and are 16-2-1 in their last 19 head-to-head matchups.
- Victor Hedman scored his sixth goal of the season and picked up an assist on Tyler Johnson‘s third goal. He has registered a point in 11 of his last 14 games (4-12–16).
- Nikita Kucherov and Steven Stamkos picked up assists on Hedman’s goal. It was Stamkos’ team leading 35th assist.
- Kucherov has points in 14 of his last 15 games (8-12–20) and increased his NHL league lead in scoring (27-33–60).
- Tyler Johnson registered his fourth career hat trick (including playoffs), scoring his 14th, 15th, and 16th goals of the season. He has at least one point in 17 of his last 20 games he’s played (12-13–25). He has 12 goals since December 1st, which leads the team.
- Jake Dotchin scored his third goal of the season. He also picked up an assist on Tyler Johnson’s second goal. It was his first multi-point game of his career.
- Brayden Point picked up assists on both of Johnson’s goals and Dotchins goal. His three points matched a career high for points in a game and was his first three assist game of his career.
- Ondrej Palat, playing his 350th NHL game, added an assist on Dotchin’s goal. He has seven assist over his last eight games.
- For the second consecutive game the Lightning were not afforded a power play opportunity and had to kill off four.
- Dan Girardi missed the game with the neck injury suffered Sunday night against the Detroit Red Wings. It is likely that he will return Thursday night when the Lightning welcome the Calgary Flames to Amalie Arena.