- - http://www.sportstalkflorida.com -
USF to Host Columbia in Four Game Series
Posted By Sports Talk Florida On February 28, 2014 @ 8:24 AM In College,Florida News,Insider Main | No Comments
TAMPA, FEB. 27, 2014 - With the rainout at Stetson on Wednesday, USF will continue a 16-game home stand this weekend when it welcomes Columbia to the USF Baseball Stadium for a four game series. Game one is set to get underway at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28. The two sides will play a doubleheader beginning at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday before concluding the series on Sunday with first pitch set for 1:00 p.m.
Columbia will kick-off its 2014 season this weekend when it arrives in Tampa. The Lions will have three straight weekends when they take the road for four-game series beginning with USF. Columbia is coming off a 28-21 campaign in 2013 when they earned the program’s first-ever NCAA Regional victory, defeating New Mexico 6-5 in 13 innings in the Fullerton Regional. They also won their 11th Ivy League title a season ago.
Seniors David Speer and Joey Donino will spearhead a rotation that returns its weekend rotation that posted a 3.67 ERA in 2013. Speer was a first-time All-Ivy League selection while Donino was named to the second team.
• With a 7-0 record, USF is off to its best start since the 1982 season when they started 8-0
• USF’s best start in school history came in 1974 when it began the season 9-0
• USF is one of two remaining unbeaten in The American along with Houston (7-0)
• Thru the 1st two weekends, USF led The American with a .338 batting average, 66 runs scored, walks (29) and on-base percentage (.412)
• Kyle Teaf  had a big week, hitting .462 (6-for-13) w/a triple, stolen base & 6 runs scored
• Janick Serrallonga  was named to The American Weekly Honor Roll on 2/24/12 after tossing 6 innings in 2 appearances earning a win vs. FGCU & save vs. Penn State (GM 3)
• Austin Lueck  picked up the first four-hit performance for USF in the series finale vs Penn State going 4-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI. It was also his first career four-hit game, his previous best was three hits vs. Florida State last season
USF will square off with its first ranked opponents of the season when No. 2 Florida State comes to Tampa for the first time since 1998. The Bulls and Seminoles will play a two-game series with the first game set for Tuesday, March 4 beginning at 7:00 p.m. and wrapping up the next day starting at 3:00 p.m.
SOURCE: USF Athletics
Article printed from : http://www.sportstalkflorida.com
URL to article: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/usf-to-host-columbia-in-four-game-series/
URLs in this post:
 Kyle Teaf: http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205380046&DB_OEM_ID=7700
 Janick Serrallonga: http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205097858&DB_OEM_ID=7700
 Austin Lueck: http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205380124&DB_OEM_ID=7700
Copyright © 2011 ESPN Florida. All rights reserved.