UM Baseball Set For Marlins Exhibition
JUPITER, Fla. -The Miami Hurricanes (4-3, 0-0 ACC) will make the short trip to Roger Dean Stadium Wednesday for an exhibition against the Miami Marlins. First pitch is slated for 1:05 p.m.
Season tickets to Miamis 2014 season at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field start for as low as $99, with a Family Plan option (two adult tickets, three youth tickets) covering all home games available for just $199. For more information, visit CanesTix.com or call 1-800-GO-CANES.
GAME INFORMATION EXHIBITION
#14 MIAMI HURRICANES (4-3, 0-0 ACC) vs. MIAMI MARLINS
Wed., Feb 26, 2014 (1:05 p.m. ET) WVUM 90.5 FM Jupiter, Fla. Roger Dean Stadium (6,781)
The Marlins lead the all-time series 9-2-1 The Marlins won the last match-up between the two teams, a stadium-opening exhibition at Marlins Park in 2012, by a final score of 7-6.
WVUM 90.5 FM 940 AM WINZ
Miami Hurricanes: RHP Javi Salas (0-1, 3.38 ERA)
Miami Marlins:RHP Angel Sanchez (6-10, 4.11 ERA)*
NEWS AND NOTES
CARRYING ON TRADITION
- After capturing their series with No. 25 Florida over the weekend, No. 14 Miami will travel to Roger Dean Stadium for an exhibition contest with the Miami Marlins.
- The Hurricanes helped open Marlins Park in 2012 with an exhibition against the Marlins, falling 7-6. The two teams did not meet in 2013.
- The Marlins boast an all-time advantage of 9-2-1 in the history of the exhibition series, including four of the last five match-ups. The Hurricanes last beat the Marlins in 2011 by a final score of 9-8.
- Senior outfielders Tyler Palmer and Dale Carey paced the team last time out against the Marlins in 2012. Palmer finished 2-for-4 with two runs and two RBI, while Carey finished with three RBI.
- Three freshmen were in head coach Jim Morris Opening Day lineup: first baseman Zack Collins, designated hitter Willie Abreu and second baseman Johnny Ruiz. Shortstop Laz Rivera and designated hitter Jacob Heyward have also earned starts through the first two weeks of the regular season.
- Freshman reliever Bryan Garcia recorded the first two saves of his career in back-to-back wins over Florida.
- Two Hurricanes connected on their career-first home runs in the series against Florida: Abreu (solo) and Collins (three-run). Collins became the first Hurricane since San Diego Padres slugger Yonder Alonso (2006) to record a home run for his career-first hit, breaking an 0-for-17 drought.
- Miami won its annual nonconference series with in-state foe Florida for the first time since 2009 this past weekend, capturing the first two games of the series but dropping the finale.
- The Hurricanes offense exploded for six home runs off Gators pitching, the most for a Miami team in a single series since an April 2010 weekend set at Virginia Tech.
- Dale Carey and Garrett Kennedy served as offensive catalysts, hitting two home runs apiece in the series against the Gators. The two players combined for just four home runs in all of 2013.
- Boosted by their series win, Miami climbed to No. 14 in theBaseball Americatop 25 rankings. The Hurricanes will battle No. 2 Florida State this coming weekend in Tallahassee.
Source: University of Miami Athletics