- - http://www.sportstalkflorida.com -
Tuck’s Top 25 College Football Poll Week 1
Posted By Mike Tuck On September 3, 2013 @ 2:11 PM In 1080 Sports,College,Florida News,Insider Main,Legacy,main feature,TO - Mike Tuck Column,TO - Tuck and O'Neill main | No Comments
My top complaint about the polls is that they are static to preseason thoughts. In my opinion, that is why they fail. A preseason poll is simply a guess at who voters believe are the 25 best teams. History has shown us the voters aren’t necessarily great at guessing. The AP preseason #1 has only won 4 of the last 33 titles. USC started last year ranked first, and finished 7-6. Of course, the Trojans in 2004 were the last team to prove voters correct.
And yes, it only gets worse from there. So why stick to what you think if you’re a voter, instead of reacting to what happens?
Ya got me. I don’t understand it.
So my poll swings wildly week to week for the first 6-8 weeks because it should. Listen, I think Georgia is a top 25 team. But I know half of the country is 1-0, and the Bulldogs aren’t. So this early, why would I keep them ranked? I don’t know if they’ll win a game yet. I simply react to what happens. If Georgia keeps winning, then they rise in the polls. It’s pretty simple. You can win and fall in the polls if you beat a weaker team, and you can lose (later in the year) to a great team and not have it effect you as much.
Nobody has a right to a spot in the polls. When I do this, I don’t even look at my poll from last week. I don’t look at the AP or coaches polls either. I simply run down this week’s results, and then look at a team’s schedule to that point and determine what they’ve earned. Sometimes a good win doesn’t look as good a few weeks later and sometimes a bad loss doesn’t look as bad. It’s always adjusting. I don’t care what a team has coming up…when those games happen, they will be judged. I only go offer what I know now.
With that said, here is my debut top 25.
12. Oklahoma State
13. Ole Miss
14. South Carolina
17. Texas A&M
18. Ohio State
19. Fresno State
22. Northern Illinois
– Again, I repeat, I don’t think Clemson is the best team in the nation, but I think they are most deserving of the top spot.
– Alabama. On one hand, I wasn’t impressed. On the other, 3 phases to the game, and they dominated 2 of them.
– It’s Jameis Winston’s world and we’re just living in it.
– Boise State hasn’t been beaten so soundly in a game since 2005 when they lost to Georgia and Fresno State each on the road by 48-13 and 27-7 counts. Washington’s offense looked legit.
– Johnny Manziel got flagged for talking trash and pointing to the scoreboard. It appears ESPN had their Tebow-replacement lightning rod lined up in Johnny Football.
– Targeting penalties resulted in 6 ejections in the first weekend. Officials said there were 1 every 8 games a season ago without the new rules in place to punish. With 75 games, the math adds up to 1 for every 12.5. Better, but still some controversy over whether or not some of those calls were worthy of an ejection.
– Pretty sure you noticed that 8 FCS (I-AA) teams beat FBS (I-A) teams this week. I am not a fan of these kind of games, but there is no question that more than a handful of FCS schools are qualified to beat their big brothers.
– I love football. I don’t mind if a game runs long. But when they all do? Something is wrong here. Too many games that were routinely going 3 and a half to 4 hours or longer. If the NFL can wrap a game up in 3 hours, or 3 hours and 15 minutes, college football needs to pick up the pace.
– In case you missed it, these were my BCS Bowl Predictions for this year.
Article printed from : http://www.sportstalkflorida.com
URL to article: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/tucks-top-25-college-football-poll-week-1/
URLs in this post:
 BCS Bowl Predictions : http://wp.me/p3QShh-ne9
Copyright © 2011 ESPN Florida. All rights reserved.