- Sports Talk Florida - http://www.sportstalkflorida.com -
Tuck’s College Football Top 25 Poll
Posted By Mike Tuck On October 7, 2013 @ 2:57 PM In 1080 Sports,Florida News,Insider - College Football,Insider Main,main feature,NCAA,TO - Mike Tuck Column,TO - Tuck and O'Neill main | No Comments
Baylor has played in 3 straight bowl games. They hadn’t played in one since 1994 previous to 2010. They had only played in 16 ever before Art Briles showed up. Give some credit to him. Give some credit to recruiting a Heisman trophy winner in Robert Griffin III. Give some credit to the coaching staff and players. But please, let’s give the Baylor Bears some credit.
They are the first team to score 70 points or more in 3 straight games since LSU did it in 1930. They scored 69 in their opener. Yes, the competition has been light. That is the reason they are ranked so low by me…for now. It should be noted they finished off last year 8-5 and scored 49, 41, 52, and 52 in their last four games. Those were against UCLA, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State.
They are basically doing what Oregon is doing under a different shade of green. It’s impressive. They broke the Big XII record for total offense in a game with 864 against West Virginia. What is scary, is they could have cleared 100 points and 1000 yards if they wanted to. They led 56-14 at half with 617 yards and pulled the starters.
What was supposed to be a blip on the radar screen with a once-in-a-lifetime guy like RG3 has turned into something special going on in Waco. QB Bryce Petty and RB Lache Seastrunk are Heisman hopefuls and Art Briles is going to get brought up a lot of the Texas and USC jobs I think.
They are scary. You may not have noticed them yet. But it’s coming.
UNBEATEN COUNT: 17. 3 teams had to lose last week because they played 3 other unbeatens.
WINLESS COUNT: 9. Southern Miss has now dropped 17 straight games after losing to previously winless FIU.
1. Alabama (5-0)
2. Oregon (5-0)
3. Clemson (5-0)
4. Stanford (5-0)
5. Ohio State (5-0)
6. Miami (5-0)
7. Oklahoma (5-0)
8. FSU (5-0)
9. UCLA (4-0)
10. Texas Tech (5-0)
11. Fresno State (5-0)
12. Baylor (4-0)
13. Missouri (5-0)
14. Georgia (4-1)
15. LSU (4-1)
16. Washington (4-1)
17. Texas A&M (4-1)
18. Michigan (5-0)
19. Louisville (5-0)
20. South Carolina (4-1)
21. Virginia Tech (4-1)
22. Northern Illinois (5-0)
23. Northwestern (4-1)
24. Auburn (4-1)
25. Florida (4-1)
- For the first time ever, all 7 Florida FBS (I-A) schools won on the same week.
- Miami is 5-0 for the first time 2004.
- Jameis Winston is giving us plenty of highlights for his Heisman campaign.
- Near misses on program-changing wins for Northwestern, Washington, and Tennessee. So, so, so close for each.
- The injury bug has bitten Georgia hard. Will be interesting to see if they can survive unbeaten Mizzou at home this week. If not, the Tigers can jump to the top of the SEC East.
- The Huskies were every bit the equal of Stanford in what was a defensive slobber-knocker highlighted by some big plays. The Cardinal’s Ty Montgomery was the difference-maker, both with a long TD catch before the end of the first half, and his return work on special teams. Oregon should be on high-alert for Washington in Seattle this week.
- Will Ohio State even get a game from someone before playing at Michigan in their season-finale? Buckeyes can only keep winning, but will be hard to impress the nation while others play high profile games.
Article printed from Sports Talk Florida: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com
URL to article: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/tucks-college-football-top-25-poll/
Copyright © 2011 ESPN Florida. All rights reserved.