Treasures from 2013 World Series Headed Home to Cooperstown
(COOPERSTOWN, NY) – On Wednesday night, the Boston Red Sox became World Champions for the third time since 2004, defeating the St. Louis Cardinals, 6-1, as the franchise captured its eighth World Series title and the first clinched at Fenway Park since 1918.
Today, that history will head home to its eternal destination at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, as several treasures documenting the Red Sox’s riveting run will soon be displayed through a year-long exhibit celebrating baseball’s champions in Autumn Glory, the Museum’s exhibition celebrating the postseason.
At 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 31, the Museum will host the first reveal of the artifacts collected following Wednesday night’s win. The program will take place in the Bullpen Theater and is included with Museum admission.
The Museum will open the exhibit dedicated to the 2013 Red Sox in early December in Cooperstown, featuring several artifacts from this year’s compelling World Series. The items that are already secured and will be making their way to Cooperstown on Thursday include:
- Bat used by World Series MVP David Ortiz in Game 5
- Spikes worn throughout the World Series by closer Koji Uehara
- Jacket worn in Game 6 by Red Sox Manager John Farrell
- Catcher’s helmet and mask worn by Red Sox catcher David Ross
- Glove used through the 2013 postseason by Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew
- Batting gloves used by Boston rookie Xander Bogaerts during the World Series
- Jacket worn by umpire crew chief John Hirschbeck during the World Series
The bat used by Boston’s Jonny Gomes to hit decisive home run in Game 4, starting a streak of three straight Red Sox wins in the 2013 World Series, arrived in Cooperstown on Wednesday and will be a part of Thursday’s reveal and the exhibition. Other artifacts are scheduled to be added before the exhibition’s opening.
Source: Baseball Hall of Fame MediaTreasures from 2013 World Series Headed Home to Cooperstown by Sports Talk Florida
Tags: Boston Red Sox