To Be a Fly on the Wall: Gators News and Notes from the Bye Week
- If there were ever a week where I could by a fly on the wall listening to one of Will Muschamp’s closed-door speeches to his football team, I think this would be the one. After Saturday’s debilitating, turnover-laden 21-16 loss to the (now) No. 15 Miami Hurricanes, there seemed to be a lot of blame to go around. Six turnovers (including one on downs) is nothing to sneeze at, and I have a feeling Muschamp let his players have it.
- Trey Burton took responsibility for Driskel’s second interception against Miami, saying he ran the wrong route and Driskel threw it where he was supposed to be.
- One more Miami-related tidbit: I’m not sure I agree with Muschamp’s play-calling (mostly in the first half). The two-point conversion attempt was ill-advised — even if they had converted it, what’s one point? — and the fourth and one attempt on the Miami 16 was pitiful. Just take the points in each situation, and you’ve got a potentially different game down the stretch. With an offense like Florida’s, you’d think you should just take the points where you can get them.
- In case you missed it: Florida dropped to No. 18 in the AP poll.
- The Florida defense has allowed 317 passing yards and 100 rushing yards through the first two games. Other than a slightly off-kilter first quarter against Miami, they deserve none of the blame to this point.
- Injury updates:
- Jeff Driskel, who suffered a minor knee injury against Miami, should be ready to play against Tennessee, according to Will Muschamp.
- Muschamp also said that sophomore right tackle Tyler Moore, who suffered a sprained ankle against Miami, would not play if there was a game this week but should be ready for Tennessee.
- Freshman defensive back Nick Washington will have season-ending shoulder surgery next week after being injured in practice on Monday. He will likely be a medical redshirt going into next season.
- Four-star offensive lineman Ben Knox decommitted from Florida on Tuesday. “At this very moment, I’m decommitting,” he said. “Reason why because I haven’t heard from them in over a month.” That may be the reason why he is decommitting, but you have to think the performance against Miami influenced him a little bit as well. The favorite to land Knox now is Louisville.
- Two full weeks of practice for Muschamp and the Gators: I’d hate to be the Tennessee Volunteers Sept. 21.
To Be a Fly on the Wall: Gators News and Notes from the Bye Week by Taylor Gaines