Stanley Cup Playoffs News And Notes
MORNING STANLEY CUP OF JOE JUNE 5, 2013
LOS ANGELES 3, CHICAGO 1; CHI leads 2-1
Slava Voynov recorded the primary assist on Justin Williams game-opening goal and scored what proved to be the game-winner as the Kings continued their perfect play on home ice this postseason.
VOY OH VOY
Defenseman Slava Voynov has scored four game-winning goals this postseason, tying the NHL record for most game-winning scores by a blueliner in one playoff year. The other defensemen to do so are all Hockey Hall of Famers: Paul Coffey (1985 Oilers), Al MacInnis (1989 Flames) and Brian Leetch (1994 Rangers). All three of those players also won the Stanley Cup the year in which they recorded four game-winning goals. (Elias)
Voynov scored two of his game-winners in the opening round versus St. Louis (Game 3 and Game 5) and one in the Western Conference Semifinals against San Jose (Game 1).
His four game-winning goals lead all players this postseason and also establish a franchise record for most game-winners in a single playoff year (surpassing the previous mark of three set by Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter and Wayne Gretzky).
Slava Voynov has 5-611 and a +10 rating in 16 games this postseason; his five goals and +10 rating are tied for first among defensemen, while his 11 points rank second among blueliners. Voynov is the first defenseman in Kings history to score five goals in one playoff year.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS (via Elias)
Slava Voynov is the youngest defenseman (23 years, 140 days) to record his fourth playoff game-winning goal since Bobby Orr (23 years, 21 days on April 11, 1971).
Four of Voynovs six career playoff goals have been game-winners, giving him the highest career percentage among defensemen (minimum, 5 goals):
Slava Voynov: .667 (4-of-6)
J.J. Daigneault: .600 (3-of-5)
Dan Girardi: .600 (3-of-5)
Jim Wiemer: .600 (3-of-5)
Tomas Kaberle: .500 (3-of-6)
Highest career percentage for any position (minimum, 5 goals):
David Clarkson: .800 (4-of-5)
Doc Romnes: .714 (5-of-7)
Craig Laughlin: .667 (4-of-6)
Billy MacMillan: .667 (4-of-6)
Slava Voynov: .667 (4-of-6)
HAPPY AT HOME
The Kings improved to 8-0 at home during the playoffs and have won 15 straight at STAPLES Center including the regular season.
They have outscored their opponents, 21-9, in Los Angeles this postseason on the strength of a 1.13 goals-against average, .957 save percentage and three shutouts by Jonathan Quick. The Kings are 1-7 on the road, where the team is being outscored, 11-18, and Quick has a 2.31 goals-against average, .927 save percentage and zero shutouts.
Bryan Bickell netted his seventh goal of the playoffs, but was denied of the game-tying score by Jonathan Quick late in the third period. Bickells seven goals rank tied for third in the League, one behind teammate Patrick Sharp and Bostons David Krejci. He had never scored more than two goals in the postseason prior to this year.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Kings improved to 22-0-0 when scoring first at home this year (regular season and playoffs).
Drew Doughty logged a team-high 25:50 of ice time. He leads all players in time on ice this postseason (441:19) . . . Jeff Carter collected two assists . . . Justin Williams has four goals in his last four games . . . The Kings killed off both power-plays they faced, improving to 20-for-21 (95.2%) on the penalty kill at home this postseason . . . Since scoring the Stanley Cup-clinching goal in 2010, Patrick Kane has three goals in his last 28 playoff games . . . Jonathan Toews has four in that same span . . . Celebrities Jim Belushi, Tom Cruise and Al Michaels attended Game 3 . . . The Competition Committee met Tuesday in Toronto and made several recommendations to the Board of Governors . . . The Dallas Stars introduced their new logo and uniforms . . . The Carolina Hurricanes unveiled their new home and road uniforms.
SNEAK PEEK AT WEDNESDAYS ACTION
All Times Eastern
Pittsburgh @ Boston, Game 3, BOS leads 2-0, 8:00 p.m., NBCSN, CBC, RDS
* Since 1991, the Penguins are 5-3 (.625) in series when losing the first two games however, only one of those series victories has come after dropping the first two games at home (1996 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals versus Washington). No other team in the last 22 years has more than two such series wins and all six of those clubs have a winning percentage of .400 or below. (Elias)
* The Penguins also are the last team to overcome a 2 0 series deficit in the Conference Finals they did so in 1991, when they beat the Bruins in six games en route to their first Stanley Cup.
* The Bruins have a 22-7 all-time series record when holding a 2-0 lead in a best-of-seven. They are 19-10 all-time in Game 3s of best-of-seven series in which they have led 2-0.
* The Bruins have won seven of their last eight games, with the lone loss coming in overtime in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals.
* David Krejci leads all players with 8-1220 in 14 games during the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs. That matches the total of the top point-producers from last years postseason (Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar). Krejci also led all players with 12-1123 in 25 games during the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs to help the Bruins win their first championship in 39 years.
Source: NHL Media