Stanley Cup Playoffs News and Notes
MORNING STANLEY CUP OF JOE ? JUNE 13, 2013
CHICAGO 4, BOSTON 3 (3OT); CHI leads 1-0
Andrew Shaw scored at 12:08 of triple-overtime to complete the Blackhawks? comeback from a two-goal, third-period deficit and end the fifth-longest game in Stanley Cup Final history.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
* Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final marked the longest game of the 2013 postseason (previous high: Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final on June 5. Patrice Bergeron scored at 15:19 of double-overtime to lead Boston over Pittsburgh, 2-1.)
* It marked the first multiple-overtime Stanley Cup Final game since 2008. Pittsburgh?s Petr Sykora scored at 9:57 of triple-overtime to defeat Detroit, 4-3.
* Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final has been decided in overtime in consecutive years for the first time since 1934 and 1935. In 2012, Anze Kopitar?s goal at 8:13 of the first extra session gave Los Angeles a 2-1 victory over New Jersey. In 1934, Paul Thompson scored at 1:10 of double-overtime to lift Chicago over Detroit. In 1935, Dave Trottier scored at 5:28 of the first extra frame to lead the Montreal Maroons past Toronto.
* It was the eighth multiple-overtime game in Stanley Cup Final history and the first won by the home team.
* Home teams have now won nine consecutive overtime games in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Overall, home teams are 19-6 (.760) in overtime games this postseason.
* There have been 25 overtime games in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs, matching the total from the 2012 postseason and tied for the third-highest in one playoff year. Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final was fourth game this postseason that required more than one overtime period.
Most Overtime Games, One Playoff Year
28 ? 1993 (85 games)
26 ? 2001 (86 games)
25 ? 2012 (86 games) and 2013 (81 games*)
* through Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final
* Game 1 received a 4.8 household rating, which is the best metered market rating for an NHL Stanley Cup Final Game 1 since 1997 (Detroit vs. Philadelphia on FOX: 5.2).
* The game was +100% from Game 1 of last year?s Stanley Cup Final (Los Angeles vs. New Jersey: 2.4).
* NBC was the No. 1-rated network overall in Boston during the 8:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. (ET) time period. Boston received a 28.1 household rating, +10% from the Bruins? Game 1 average in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final on NBC in the market (25.5).
* NBC was the No. 1-rated network overall in Chicago during the 8:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. (ET) time period. Chicago received a 25.1 household rating, +49% from the Blackhawks? Game 1 average in the 2010 Stanley Cup Final on NBC in the market (16.9).
The Blackhawks overcame a 3-1 third-period deficit to tie the game before winning in overtime. It marked the first such comeback in the Stanley Cup Final since Carolina?s 5-4 win over Edmonton in Game 1 of the 2006 Final. The Hurricanes scored three consecutive third-period goals to turn a 3-1 deficit into a 4-3 lead. Edmonton tied the game, 4-4, before Rod Brind?Amour notched the game-winning goal at 19:28 of the third period.
Game 1 of the Final also marked the 17th time in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs that a team won a game it had trailed in the third period. The Blackhawks became the third team to successfully overcome a two-goal, third-period deficit (previously, Boston came back to defeat Toronto in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals and Ottawa came back to defeat Montreal in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals).
Home teams have won 57 of the 81 games (.704) contested in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs, tying the NHL record for most wins by home clubs in one playoff year, set in 92 games during the 1991 postseason (.620). The last time home teams had a winning percentage of .600 or higher during the playoffs was in 1993, when they went 52-33 (.612).
The Blackhawks? victory marked only the fourth time in NHL history that a team has won consecutive multiple-overtime games in one playoff year (they also won Game 5 of the Western Conference Final vs. the Kings in double-overtime). The other teams to do that were the 1931 Blackhawks (Games 2 and 3 of Stanley Cup Final), 1951 Canadiens (Games 1 and 2 of Semifinals) and 1991 Oilers (Games 2 and 3 of Smythe Division Final). (Elias)
JAGR SETS MARK
Boston forward Jaromir Jagr played in his first Stanley Cup Final game since 1992 (21 years), breaking Gary Roberts? NHL record of 19 years between Final appearances (1989 with Calgary, 2008 with Pittsburgh). Jagr also became the first NHLer to play in the Stanley Cup Final as both a teenager (19 during his first appearance with Pittsburgh in 1991) and 40-year-old. (Elias)
DID YOU KNOW?
The longest game in Stanley Cup Final history was played on May 15, 1990, when Petr Klima scored at 15:13 of triple-overtime to lead Edmonton past Boston in Game 1.
Chicago forward Andrew Shaw was mic?d up when he scored the winning goal . . . Boston goaltender Tuukka Rask made 59 saves, the most in a Stanley Cup Final game since Colorado?s Patrick Roy recorded 63 saves in a 1-0 win over Florida in Game 4 of the 1996 Final. Rask?s shutout streak was snapped at 149:36 (70 consecutive saves) . . . Boston forward David Krejci collected a pair of assists to extend his League-leading point total to 23 (nine goals, 14 assists) . . . Boston forward Milan Lucic tied a postseason career high with two goals and three points . . . Chicago improved to 4-1 in overtime in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Boston fell to 4-2.
AROUND THE TWITTERVERSE
The White House ([email protected])
Good luck to the @NHLBlackhawks tonight ? hope to welcome you back to the White House again as #StanleyCup champs. -bo
Chicago Mayor?s Office (@ChicagosMayor)
The bet is on. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ? Let?s go @nhlblackhawks! #becauseitsthecup pic.twitter.com/3l7lNkhg5q
The Rolling Stones ([email protected])
Mick and his #stones50 #bruins #boston jersey #becauseitsthecup #goodluck #mickjagger http://instagram.com/p/aecR3WCz14/
Aaron Rodgers ([email protected])
This playoff hockey is a great watch.
Cris Collinsworth ([email protected])
Game 1 is awesome. Even if you don?t like Hockey you have to turn this on. Triple OT and no end in sight. History?
Lee Westwood (@WestwoodLee)
Whhhoooo ! Blackhawks ! Comeback time.
Jim Belushi ?(@JimBelushi)
Hawks win!! #Blackhawks https://vine.co/v/bldFUUl6Onv
Jim Rome ([email protected])
Double O.T., Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I?ll say it again: NHL has the best postseason of any sport.
Kevin Allen (@ByKevinAllen)
OT is good, double OT is special and triple OT is classic
Steve Simmons (@simmonssteve)
Been covering the NHL since 1980. Can?t remember a better start to a Stanley Cup Final. That was an awesome game.
Michael Rosenberg ?(@Rosenberg_Mike)
Some of these guys didn?t even have playoff beards when this game started.
Jamie Benn ?(@jamiebenn14)
Pretty sure this is Jagr favorite time to go skating! Midnight is almost here! #LateNightSkates #GuysAMachine #JJ68
Damien Brunner ?(@damien_brunner)
lol! just woke up and they were still playing, priceless! best game in the world! #3ot #becauseitsthecup
SNEAK PEEK AT SATURDAY?S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Boston @ Chicago, Game 2, CHI leads 1-0, 8:00 p.m., NBCSN, CBC, RDS
Source: NHL Media