- - http://www.sportstalkflorida.com -
NHL Diary: Jan. 14, 2014 – Ice Truck Arrives in Los Angeles
Posted By Sports Talk Florida On January 14, 2014 @ 10:53 AM In News and Rumors,NHL | No Comments
Welcome to the “NHL Morning Skate,” a daily collection of the latest news and notes from around the League.
RENDERING OF DODGER STADIUM
The NHL released a rendering of what Dodger Stadium will look like when the Kings and Ducks face off in Chavez Ravine on Saturday, Jan. 25, as part of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series (6:30 p.m. PT / 9:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, CBC, RDS2, SiriusXM Radio).
ICE TRUCK ARRIVES IN LOS ANGELES
Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky helped welcome the arrival of the NHL’s ice truck to Dodger Stadium on Monday along with Kings president of business operations/alternate governor Luc Robitaille, Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau and NHL senior director of facilities operations Dan Craig. The 53-foot trailer made a cross-country journey from cold and snowy Ann Arbor, Mich., passing through eight U.S. states to arrive in Southern California.
KINGS, DUCKS SET TO UNVEIL LEGACY DONATION
The Kings and Ducks, along with the NHL, will unveil their donation to Los Angeles- and Anaheim-area elementary schools today as a legacy for the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series.
Graham Elementary School in Los Angeles, one of the 50 schools in Southern California to benefit from the legacy, will host the unveiling, followed by a street hockey clinic for 120 fourth-graders led by Kings forwards Matt Frattin, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson and Ducks defensemen Cam Fowler and Hampus Lindholm (1:30 p.m. PT / 4:30 p.m. ET).
PANTHERS TO HOST 2015 NHL DRAFT
The National Hockey League announced this morning that the Panthers will host the 2015 NHL Draft at BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla. The event will be held over two days: June 26-27, 2015.
“On behalf of the entire Florida Panthers organization we are thrilled and honored to welcome the NHL Draft back to the BB&T Center and Broward County,” said Panthers president and CEO Michael R. Yormark. “The 2015 NHL Draft will be a spectacular event for this community on a number of levels, bringing significant economic impact and notoriety to Broward County while also giving our fans a glimpse of the future stars of the National Hockey League. I’d like to sincerely thank our local hoteliers, local businesses and the CVB for working closely with the NHL to make this incredible event a reality.”
This marks the second time the Panthers and Broward County will host an NHL Draft, following the 2001 event when Ilya Kovalchuk was selected first overall. The arena also was home to the 2003 NHL All-Star Game.
Ticket distribution plans and other details pertaining to the 2015 NHL Draft will be announced at a later date.
Calgary 2, Carolina 0
Columbus 3, Tampa Bay 2
Winnipeg 5, Phoenix 1
Los Angeles 1, Vancouver 0
QUICK, KINGS EDGE CANUCKS ON DODGERS NIGHT
Jonathan Quick made 28 saves for his second shutout of the season and Dustin Brown scored the lone goal 24 seconds into the third period to power the Kings to their fourth consecutive victory over the Canucks.
* Quick improved to 3-1-1 with a 1.39 goals-against average, .942 save percentage and one shutout since being activated from the injured reserve list Jan. 4. He is 13-6-1 with a 2.12 goals-against average, .914 save percentage and two shutouts in 21 total appearances this season.
* Quick has 27 career shutouts, all with the Kings, five behind Rogie Vachon for the most in the franchise history.
* The Kings improved to 4-0-0 versus the Canucks this season (VAN: 0-3-1), marking the first time they have recorded four wins against Vancouver in a single season since 1990-91 (5-3-0). The clubs face off one more time in 2013-14 – April 5 at Rogers Arena.
* The Kings also improved to 10-3-1 this season against the Pacific Division, including a 7-0-1 combined record versus the Ducks, Sharks and Canucks.
* Reliever Brian Wilson and former outfielder Jerry Hairston Jr. dropped the ceremonial first puck as the Kings celebrated Dodgers Pride Night. The team wore Dodgers-themed warm-up jerseys as part of the festivities.
JETS FLY IN MAURICE’S DEBUT
The Jets scored five unanswered goals and Ondrej Pavelec made 18 saves to give head coach Paul Maurice a victory in his debut behind the Winnipeg bench. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Maurice is the fifth head coach in Jets/Thrashers history to record a win in his team debut, following Don Waddell (Dec. 27, 2002), Bob Hartley (Jan. 15, 2003), John Anderson (Oct. 10, 2008) and Craig Ramsay (Oct. 8, 2010).
* Rookie Eric O’Dell, who scored his first NHL goal Saturday in his seventh career game, potted the game-winner. The 23-year-old forward was selected by the Ducks in the second round (39th overall) of the 2008 NHL Draft.
BIRTHDAY HEROICS POWER BLUE JACKETS
Celebrating his 27th birthday, Jack Johnson earned the primary assist on both the tying goal early in the third period and winning goal with 2:38 remaining in regulation to lead the Blue Jackets to their season-high fourth consecutive victory.
* Nathan Horton scored the tying goal, the 200th of his NHL career. The Blue Jackets are 5-1-0 since he was activated from the injured reserve list Jan. 2.
* Horton has 27-20—47 in 47 career games versus the Lightning, his most goals, assists and points against any opponent.
* Mark Letestu scored his first game-winning goal of the season and the sixth of his career. He has recorded four goals in his past five games after scoring only once in his first 41 outings this season.
* Sergei Bobrovsky made 26 saves to post his fifth consecutive victory. He has a 1.45 goals-against average, .954 save percentage and one shutout in that span.
RAMO SHUTS THE DOOR
Karri Ramo made 23 saves to record his first NHL shutout in leading the Flames to their seventh victory in their last nine meetings with the Hurricanes (7-1-1). According to the Elias Sports Bureau, he is the first Flames goaltender other than Miikka Kiprusoff to post a shutout since March 24, 2004, when Roman Turek made 22 saves in a 4-0 win over the Coyotes.
Lightning defenseman Matthew Carle collected an assist to extend his career-long assist/point streak to seven games (0-9—9) . . . Flames forward Sean Monahan scored his 13th goal of the season, which ranks third among rookies behind Sharks forward Tomas Hertl and Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon (15 each) . . . Jets forward Mark Scheifele recorded his 17th assist of the season, which leads all first-year players. Scheifele also ranks fifth among rookies with 24 points in 48 games . . . The Senators signed general manager Bryan Murray to a two-year contract extension and also named him president of hockey operations. The team said he will hold both jobs through the 2015-16 season and then remain with the club for an additional two seasons in an advisory capacity.
SNEAK PEEK AT TUESDAY’S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Toronto @ Boston, 7:00 p.m., SNET-O, NESN
Tampa Bay @ NY Rangers, 7:00 p.m., SUN, MSG 2
San Jose @ Washington, 7:00 p.m., CSN-CA, CSN-DC
Philadelphia @ Buffalo, 7:30 p.m., NBCSN, TSN, CSN-PH
New Jersey @ Montreal, 7:30 p.m., RDS, MSG PLUS, TSN-HABS
NY Islanders @ Florida, 7:30 p.m., MSG PLUS 2, FS-F
Colorado @ Chicago, 8:00 p.m., ALT, CSN-CH
Phoenix @ St. Louis, 8:00 p.m., FS-A, FS-MW
Calgary @ Nashville, 8:00 p.m., SNET-W
Ottawa @ Minnesota, 8:00 p.m., SNET-E, FS-N
Edmonton @ Dallas, 8:30 p.m., SNET-W, SNET-EDM, FS-SW
BRUINS, MAPLE LEAFS RENEW ORIGINAL SIX RIVALRY
The Bruins (29-14-2, 60 points) face the rival Maple Leafs (22-20-5, 49 points) in their return to TD Garden following a three-game West Coast road trip. Boston (289-256-106) holds a 684-634 points advantage in the all-time regular-season series (TOR: 264-281-106). The Bruins also are 11-1-1 in their last 13 regular-season meetings, including a pair of victories in 2013-14 and six straight wins at TD Garden.
Source: NHL MediaNHL Diary: Jan. 14, 2014 - Ice Truck Arrives in Los Angeles by Sports Talk Florida
Article printed from : http://www.sportstalkflorida.com
URL to article: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/nhl-morning-skate-jan-14-2014/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Dodger-Stadium1.jpg
 Image: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ice-truck.jpg
 Image: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Brian-Wilson1.jpg
Copyright © 2011 ESPN Florida. All rights reserved.