Quarterback RUSSELL WILSON of the Seattle Seahawks and linebacker LUKE KUECHLY of the Carolina Panthers are the NFL Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Month for December, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB RUSSELL WILSON, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
- Wilson, who led the Seahawks to a perfect 5-0 record in December, completed 74 of 113 passes (65.5 percent) for 1,067 yards with nine touchdowns and two interceptions for a 115.2 passer rating, the highest mark in the NFL. He also rushed for 262 yards and four touchdowns.
- He had a passer rating of at least 100 in four of the team’s five games and guided the Seahawks to the first 5-0 December in franchise history.
- Wilson led game-winning fourth-quarter drives twice in December (Week 13 and 17) and was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against Chicago in Week 13.
- In Weeks 14-16, Wilson led the Seahawks to three wins by a combined margin of victory of 120 points. That is tied for the third-largest mark in any three-game span in NFL history and the largest since 1941 (Chicago Bears, 122 points).
- Wilson finished the season with a 100.0 passer rating and is one of two rookie quarterbacks in NFL history to post a 100+ rating in a season.
- He had 26 touchdown passes, tying PEYTON MANNING (1998) for the most by a rookie quarterback in league history. Wilson’s 30 total touchdowns (26 passing, four rushing) are the second-most by a rookie in NFL history (CAM NEWTON, 35 in 2011).
- Wilson is the first Seahawks quarterback to be named NFL Rookie of the Month.
- He joins WALTER JONES (October 1997) as the only Seahawks to be named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month.
DEFENSE: LB LUKE KUECHLY, CAROLINA PANTHERS
- Kuechly led the NFL with 59 tackles and 44 solo tackles during December as the Panthers posted a 4-1 record.
- He started all five games in the month and recorded 59 tackles, one sack, one interception and four passes defensed. Kuechly and Washington’s LONDON FLETCHER were the only two players in the NFL with at least 50 tackles, a sack and an interception in December.
- Kuechly had at least eight tackles in all five December games, including three contests with at least 13 tackles.
- He had a career-high 16 tackles in Carolina’s Week 14 win over Atlanta and was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week.
- Kuechly finished the season with an NFL-best 165 tackles and is the first rookie to lead the league in tackles since PATRICK WILLIS in 2007.
- Kuechly is the first Panthers linebacker to be named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month.
- He joins JULIUS PEPPERS (October 2002) as the only Panthers to be named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month.
- The last Panther to be named NFL Rookie of the Month was CAM NEWTON (Offense, September 2011).
Source: NFL Media