- - http://www.sportstalkflorida.com -
Miami to Face Hokies in ACC Tournament
Posted By Sports Talk Florida On March 10, 2014 @ 8:17 AM In College,Florida News,Insider Main | No Comments
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The No. 10-seed University of Miami men’s basketball team will face No. 15 seed Virginia Tech on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. in the 61st annual Atlantic Coast Conference Basketball Tournament, which gets under way Wednesday, March 12, at the Greensboro Coliseum. Watch the game on ESPN2 and the ACC Network.
The matchup is the third of the season between the Canes and Hokies, with VT winning both outings.
Miami in the ACC Tournament:
– Miami won the ACC Tournament in 2013, defeating North Carolina, 87-77, in the championship game.
– Miami is the only team not from the state of North Carolina to win both the ACC regular season and ACC tournament titles.
– Miami is 10-8 in ACC Tournament play. Miami has played in the event nine times.
– Under head coach Jim Larrañaga, Miami is 4-1 in the ACC Tournament.
– Miami has won four of its last five games in the ACC Tournament.
– Miami’s three wins in last year’s event are the most by the Canes in the ACC Tournament.
– Miami is 7-3 in tournament games played in Greensboro.
– Miami’s highest seed was No. 1, just a season ago. Prior to 2012-13, Miami’s highest seed was No. 5 in 2007-08. The Canes were 1-1 that year at the ACCT.
– Since Miami joined the ACC in 2004-05, three teams have won both the regular season and tournament, once by Miami (2013), twice by Duke (2006, 2009) and North Carolina (2007, 2008).
The Virginia Cavaliers (25-6, 16-2), who are seeded No. 1 for the first time since 1981, will join second-seeded Syracuse (27-4, 14-4), third-seeded Duke (24-7, 13-5) and fourth -seeded North Carolina (23-8, 13-5) in earning a double bye into Friday’s quarterfinal round.
The tournament, which for the first time will feature 15 teams and 14 total games, gets under way Wednesday with three first-round contests. No. 12 Wake Forest (16-15, 6-12) faces No. 13 Notre Dame (15-16, 6-12) at 1 p.m., followed by No. 10 Miami (16-15, 7-11) vs. No. 15 Virginia Tech (9-21, 2-16) at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday’s schedule concludes with a 7 p.m. game between No. 11 Georgia Tech (15-16, 6-12) and No. 14 Boston College (8-23, 4-14).
Thursday’s second-round schedule features four games, beginning with No. 8 Maryland (17-14, 9-9) taking on No. 9 Florida State (18-12, 9-9) at noon. No. 5 Pitt (23-8, 11-7) will face the Wake Forest-Notre Dame winner at 2 p.m., followed by No. 7 NC State (19-12, 9-9) against the Virginia Tech-Miami winner at 7 p.m. The session concludes with No. 6 Clemson (19-11, 10-8) meeting the Georgia Tech-Boston College winner at 9 p.m.
Thursday’s winners advance to face the tournament’s top four seeds on Friday, when play will again resume at 12 noon. The semifinals are set for 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Saturday, with the championship tipping on Sunday at 1 p.m. The tournament winner receives the ACC’s automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament.
61st Annual ACC Tournament
March 12-16, 2014
Greensboro (N.C.) Coliseum
Wednesday, March 12 (First Round)
#12 Wake Forest vs. #13 Notre Dame ESPN2/ACCN 1:00
#10 Miami vs. #15 Virginia Tech ESPN2/ACCN 3:30
#11 Georgia Tech vs. #14 Boston College ESPN2/ACCN 7:00
Thursday, March 13 (Second Round)
#8 Maryland vs. #9 Florida State ESPN/ACCN noon
#5 Pittsburgh vs. #12 vs. #13 winner ESPN/ACCN 2:00
#7 NC State vs. #10 vs. #15 winner ESPN/ACCN 7:00
#6 Clemson vs. #11 vs. #14 winner ESPN/ACCN 9:00
Friday, March 14 (Quarterfinals)
#1 Virginia vs. tba ESPN or ESPN2/ACCN noon
#4 North Carolina vs. tba ESPN or ESPN2/ACCN 2:00
#2 Syracuse vs. tba ESPN or ESPN2/ACCN 7:00
#3 Duke vs. tba ESPN or ESPN2/ACCN 9:00
Saturday, March 15 (Semifinals)
Game #12 ESPN/ACCN 1:00
Game #13 ESPN/ACCN 3:00
Sunday, March 16 (Finals)
Game #14 ESPN/ACCN 1:00
SOURCE: Miami AthleticsMiami to Face Hokies in ACC Tournament by Sports Talk Florida
Article printed from : http://www.sportstalkflorida.com
URL to article: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/miami-to-face-hokies-in-acc-tournament/
Copyright © 2011 ESPN Florida. All rights reserved.