Mariotti Show Replay: Tuesday, Feb. 25th
Missed part of the show? Here’s a rewind of the program on February 25, 2014.
The Mariotti Show streams live M-F noon to 3 ET.
Hour One on The Jay Mariotti Show: February 25, 2014:
FUN STORY OF DAY
– Jameis Winston pitching vs. Yankees
– Florida State grooming him as closer
– He wants to be dual-threat in pros
– Impossible to be franchise QB and big-league reliever
NO-FUN STORY OF DAY
– Knicks guard Raymond Felton, arrested on felony gun charge
– Estranged wife says he pointed gun at her
– Are Knicks most dynsfunctional team in sports?
– Remember, NYC has strict gun possession laws
– Burress sentenced to two years in prison
CLOWNEY AT COMBINE
– Awesome numbers, incredible physical skills
– But does he work hard? What’s in his heart?
– Could be next Lawrence Taylor on field
– Could be underachieving bust
– Another difficult call for Texans at No. 1
– What if they pass on Manziel, Clowney and both are great?
MANZIEL AT COMBINE
– Can Houston afford to pass on homestate cult figure?
– Will Texans ever live it down if he is great in Jacksonville?
– Seems to have grown up, knows he can’t be party animal
– There are risks — size, injuries, nightlife
– But this is improv era for QBs, and his speed is lightning
– Houston would be high pressure, so would Cleveland
– Houston would view him as hope, Cleveland as city/sports savior
HOW IMPORTANT IS AN NFL COACH?
– Harbaugh is top 3, 49ers better resolve issues with him
– Ask New Orleans, New England, Seattle, KC, Arizona, Philly
– Flip side, ask Tampa Bay, Detroit, Minnesota
– More important in NFL than in other sports
– In NBA, could you name five really good coaches?
Hour Two on The Jay Mariotti Show: February 25, 2014:
DOLPHINS’ UNION REP SAYS BULLYING SCANDAL OVERBLOWN
– John Denney says every team has this locker-room culture
– If so, how can we be sure Michael Sam will be respected?
– Don’t think NFL is necessary ready for openly gay player?
– Sam not helping himself with poor combine showing
– Goodell better act soon on Wells report
– This issue needs more than lip service from league, teams
– Too many haters out there eyeing Sam
– Dolphins, actually, would be great place for Sam
– Players can prove they know meaning of respect, inclusiveness
WHY IS MLB REGULAR SEASON STARTING IN AUSTRALIA?
– If Selig insists baseball is “national pastime,” why start Down Under?
– Greinke rips the idea, says no one into it
– Aussies upset at Greinke
– Dodgers, D’Backs a great rivalry, doing their fans disservice
– Have to watch games in wee hours in mid-March, awkward
– Baseball should be marketed in Asia, Latin countries
– These should be exhibitions, not real games
– What happened to Opening Day in America?
– Selig always thinking money, even when none in Australia
OLYMPIC HOCKEY TOURNAMENT IN JEOPARDY
– Injuries to NHL players probably tipping point
– Bettman, owners want IOC to pay NHL, IOC says no
– Attention boost at Olympics huge for hockey
– NHL needs Olympics more than vice-versa
– NBC would take major hit, paid $963 m for South Korea Games
– As it is, Olympic schedule diluted over 18 days, nights
– NBC’s TV, streaming numbers big for hockey in Sochi
Hour Three on The Jay Mariotti Show: February 25, 2014:
– Time to reconfigure locker rooms, give players privacy
– Multi-billion-leagues can afford private stalls, showers
– Too awkward, archaic. We’re in 2014
– Collins No. 98 jerseys selling quickly at NBA Store
– NBA more culture conducive to inclusiveness than NFL
– Nets ho-humming the entire story
ANTI-GAY MEASURE IN ARIZONA
– If goes through, NFL says will pull 2015 Super Bowl
– Can’t be hypocritical and welcome Sam, then have this
– Business leaders pushing governor to veto
– Rose Bowl would make sense as quick fix
– Boeheim still complaining about officiating
– Not helping cause by ripping ACC so much
– Syracuse a very shaky No. 1 seed
– Duke, Syracuse likely decide 1 in ACC tourney
– Florida, Wichita State, Arizona seem locks as No. 1s
– Kansas can’t choke with Embiid, Wiggins possible 1-2 draftees
– WIchita State is real
WINSTON VS. YANKEES
– Enters game in LF, grounds out vs. No. 90 Shane Greene
– All of familiar Yankees out of game
– Can’t play both sports in pros