Mariotti Show Replay: Tuesday, Dec. 17th
Missed part of the show? Here’s a rewind of the program on December 17, 2013.
The Mariotti Show streams live M-F noon to 3 ET.
Hour One on The Jay Mariotti Show: December 17, 2013:
LOVE FOR THE FIELD GOAL
– It has become so easy, people want to narrow the goalposts
– Jay embraces progress, praises the accuracy of kickers
– Justin Tucker, drops it in from 61, no sweat. Six FGs in 18-16 win
– John Harbaugh could have gone for first down, doesn’t flinch
– Eight days after Matt Prater broke record with 64
– Tucker has’t missed since Week 2, kick benefited his fantasy team
– Goalposts 18 feet, 6 inches wide. Keep it that way
– 13 of most 14 accurate kickers are active
– Tucker (93 percent), Blair Walsh (90)
– FG accuracy this year, .865.
– Lions, much like Cowboys, can’t rely on them, losers, chokers
– Matt Elam, yapped about Johnson being old, game-securing pick
– Stafford is a mess, INT at end, two others, 12 TOs last five, 10 INTs
– Stafford, 10 INTs, 2 fumbles last five
– Schwarz can’t last unless he wins two and gets to playoffs
– Ravens move into No. 6 hole, hold tiebraker, NE and at Cincy
– If Bears win out, they’re in. At Philly, GB at home.
TWO ENORMOUS TRENDS
– Scoring, highest ever. But lot of this isn’t good football
– Defenses have no chance with no rules, attrition, offensive wizardry
– Best athletes are playing offense, shootouts the norm
– Fun and spontaneous, never out of game, Pick 6s at all-time high. People want points and offense. On pace 48 ppg, passing records
– But Arena League-ish, flag football. Very few capable defenses
– Other trend: Injuries piling up at disturbing rate, removing stars
– League bigger, stronger, faster than ever
– Hits to head still enormous issue
– QB position, injuries killing teams, need quality backup
– Romo, biggest mystery in sports, still on tips of tongues
– Cowboys are good entertainment, though dubiously
– Dez, apologizes for leaving early, said he didn’t want us to see him crying
– Garrett defends Bryant as great team guy, but out-of-control diva
– Got a taste of Super Bowl venue in seven weeks
– Defense punishing, smart. Offense, built around Wilson’s mobility and free-lancing and Lynch Beast Mode and receivers that will include Harvin.
– Carroll, has players say “Go Hawks” on media podium
– Over weekend, eight inches, field clear for game
– Old Farmers Almanac says expect a ‘Noreaster. 80 pct. accurate. Really?
– Since 2003, temp at Newark Airport 23 to 47 on Feb. 2 at 6:30 p.m., snow only three times
– Feb. 2 is Groundhog Day
– Have had wicked outside conditions for indoor games, but only the heavy rain and wicked wind in Miami 2007 was notably bad
– Memorable games in bad weather, the Tuck Rule Game in NE in 2002, the Ice Bowl in 1967
– NFL wants it to snow.
– Ticket holders wll get earmuffs, hand warmers, lip balm
– Media Day will be in Devils’ arena, $28.50 admission for fans
Hour Two on The Jay Mariotti Show: December 17, 2013:
– Bill O’Brien, impressing job post-Sandusky at Penn State
– Jimbo Fisher, leading candidate
– Carroll, McCarthy, Kelly candidates? Please. Lower sights
– Says he might not come out. He’d better.
– Likely No. 1 pick, with Houston needing a QB
– Texans could be Chiefs of 2014, have talent in place
– Rams, with Redskins’ pick at No. 2, also might want him.
– Also watch Derek Carr, brother of David, as potential Top 5 QB
– Says wants a “QB-needy team”
– Smart kid, growing up
– Teams will reach for him in first round because need QB
– Jacksonville, Minnesota, Cleveland will think about it
– Will be local pressure on Houston to take him, but can’t at No. 1.
– Murphy latest transfer, seven since last Thursday
– Muschamp should quit now
– Brings in Lane Kiffin to survey offense. Lane Kiffin?
JAY’s L.A. GUIDE FOR FLORIDA STATE, AUBURN FOLKS
– What to see, avoid
Hour Three on The Jay Mariotti Show: December 17, 2013:
WRETCHED STATE OF NEW YORK SPORTS
– Giants, Eli’s 25 INTs, why would Coughlin want to rebuild?
– Jets, Rex will be fired
– Knicks, Woodson doesn’t foul Wizards or take critical timeout, should be canned
– Nets, biggest payroll in NBA history, Kidd can’t coach, might not make playoffs
– Yankees, where is all this going without Cano?
– Mets, might be better than Yankees, though not by much without Harvey
– Mike Francesa loses YES Network simulcast because he aired A-Rod rant vs. Selig
– A-Rod writing tell-all book about MLB, Selig, thug tactics
– He wants to come to MLB, but Japanese team balks
– New posting rules, Japan team gets only $20 million
– Yankees desperately need him, have no ace, Sabathia now a 3 guy
– Beat Spurs, symbolic win
– Transcendent Griffin, becoming a complete player, not a dunker/pitchman
– Parker hurt
– May be diluted
– James has ankle sprain, may not play
– Pacers lay egg vs Detroit
– Pistons more physical than them up front
UGLY NHL INCIDENT
– Thornton actually appealing his thuggery?
– Got 15 games for attacking Orpik, should have been banned for season
– Hockey has CTE crisis
– Sports lacks rivalries? Not here.
– Maria keeps taking shots at Williams
– Needs to start beating her
Talk with us during the show:
Call him Toll Free (877) 355-1040