Job Opening: Assistant Digital Editor
Assistant Digital Editor, Writing & Web Focus
Genesis Communications an affiliate of NBC Sports and ABC News is looking to fill an entry level position with a candidate, who wants to do it all.shoot, edit, write, and produce for our web properties. The qualified candidate will possess a 4-year degree in English, Journalism or related field. He or she must thrive on tight deadlines and be energized by daily creative challenges. This position will primarily write for Sports Talk Florida, News Talk Florida and our social media accounts. Must have excellent grammar skills, be able to excel on a basic broadcasting writing test, and have an understanding of local news and the local region. Must be able to shoot, edit, write and have experience on multiple social media platforms, and well teach you the rest.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
-Write daily news items of local and national significance, and post them on sportstalkflorida.com, newstalkflorida.com and other digital platforms
-Shoot and edit weekly videos
-Publish breaking news as it happens, and tell our audience by sending digital alerts
-Post other content, i.e. videos, photo galleries, news items, links, etc., as needed to keep web properties up-to-date and a complete news source
-Push local content to national outlets, including but not limited to CNN, FOX, Digg, Reddit, etc. to increase clicks and share our brand
- Must work closely with managing editor, producers, insiders, interns and management.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Journalism or related field is desired
- Some experience in a working newsroom as either an assistant producer, writer or assignment editor (college editing counts)
- Working knowledge of Wordpress, HTML 5, CSS, Adobe Suite (Photoshop and Premiere), various social media platforms and internet applications
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to work well under deadline pressure
- Must have solid news judgment
- Must be a consistent and solid writer
- Must take an active role in discovering and creating new content for the company; including stories, photos, videos, etc.
- Must understand the importance of growing Facebook, Twitter and other social media followers for the company, and works toward that overall goal
- Must be able to work autonomously and be self-motivated
- Must give attention to detail; copy editing, grammatical and basic writing skills
To apply, forward resume and links to matthewsardo(at)sportstalkflorida(dot)com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE