- - http://www.sportstalkflorida.com -
Insider: Buccaneer 5/22 OTA Notes and Quotes
Posted By Sports Talk Florida On May 23, 2012 @ 8:42 AM In 1040 Sports,Insider Main,main feature,NFL | No Comments
Some notes and quotes from Tuesday’s OTAs at One Buc Place:
Dallas Clark Speaks
The Bucs newest acquisition was on the practice field in view of the media for the first time on Tuesday, wearing the number 84.
Despite coming off two subpar seasons that were limited by injury, Clark bristled at the notion of his career being near its end.
“Details do matter, because when you guys don’t have details, you make things up, like I’m done playing,” Clark said. “No one asked me if I’m done playing. I’m not done playing. So, I don’t know where that came from. Just because (I wasn’t) part of a team doesn’t mean I’m done playing.”
Clark, who has made a living catching passes down the seam from Peyton Manning, doesn’t expect to step into Winslow’s former role and be given anything.
“You’re never guaranteed 100 catches, you’re never guaranteed 20. So, you’ve gotta earn every one of them. It’s going out and earning everything you get.”
Clark has missed fifteen games the last two seasons from injury. Still, head coach Greg Schiano doesn’t necessarily see his missed time at a complete negative.
“One of the downsides is he didn’t play a lot last year. One of the upsides is he didn’t play a lot last year. He’s kind of rested.”
Schiano Mum on Winslow
Schiano did not want to delve specifically into the reason the Bucs moved Winslow. However, he hinted at the financial side of the game when responding to a question as to why a move was made.
“When we do make decisions to do things, I’m going to hesitate to look back. Talk about, focus on the guys that are here, guys that are Bucs right now. Certainly there is a business side to this game at this level. I’m going to leave it at that.”
However, that business side saw a small difference between the 2012 salaries of his new and former tight end. Winslow was scheduled to make a base salary of $3.3 million in 2012, while Clark’s deal is for one year guaranteed at a $2.7 million base salary, according to a report from ESPN.com’s Pat Yasinskas.
The issue could be the next two years, as Winslow’s cap number increases each season. Given the possibility of a drop in productivity and worsening of the knee, those trends don’t match up to keep him.
Dezmon Briscoe a No-Show on Tuesday
Among the players not seen on the practice field Tuesday was WR Dezmon Briscoe, who the team confirmed was not at practice. Briscoe has been the subject of scrutiny from media and fans since the start of minicamp in April, when he missed the team’s three-day minicamp due to undisclosed personal reasons, despite Schiano indicating that he had was among the players he expected to be there. Briscoe compiled 35 catches for 387 yards and a team-best 6 touchdowns in 2011.
Also absent from practice on Tuesday were Mark Barron and Brian Price.
Random Practice Field Observations
– Josh Freeman is downright slender now. Maybe it’s still just a shock to the system after the past few years, but he looked like he had even dropped weight since I saw him last on the practice field, and that wasn’t long ago.
– Anthony Gaitor, Ahmad Black, and Cody Grimm earned a bit of time with the first team towards the end of practice. They flanked Quincy Black and Mason Foster.
– Arrelious Benn is still on this team, in case anyone forgot. He caught a ball on a crossing pattern and sprinted away from defenders in 11-on-11s for a long gain.
– The defense seemed to get the better of the offense in timed situational drills. On the first drive, where the offense started from the 34-yard line, the defense stiffened up and held the offense to a successful field goal try. EJ Biggers broke up a well-thrown fade pattern to Tiquan Underwood to save a touchdown.
– Next, Greg Schiano barked out a command that the offense start from inside the red zone and had to score a touchdown. After a couple of off-target Dan Orlovsky throws, Derrick Roberson broke up a fourth down pass on a crossing pattern intended for Preston Parker.Insider: Buccaneer 5/22 OTA Notes and Quotes by Sports Talk Florida
Article printed from : http://www.sportstalkflorida.com
URL to article: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/insider-buccaneer-522-ota-notes-and-quotes/
Copyright © 2011 ESPN Florida. All rights reserved.