Insider: South Carolina Wins 2012 Capital One Bowl
South Carolina Head Coach Steve Spurriergot 3 touchdown passes from his quarterback Connor Shaw andhis defense had six sacks and shut out Nebraska in the final three quarters as the Gamecocksdefeated the Cornhuskers 30-13 to win the Capital One Bowl on Monday.
The win gave South Carolina 11 wins for the first time in school history and snapped a string of three straight bowl losses. The turning point of the game came on the last play of the first half when Shaw threw a hail mary pass to Alshon Jeffery who out-jumped the Nebraska secondary in the end zone to catch a 51-yard Hail Mary touchdown pass to send the Gamecocks into the locker room with a 16-13 lead.
Jeffrey was named Capital One Bowl MVP with 4 receptions for 148 yards and the hail mary touchdownbefore he gotgettingtossed when he and and Cornhuskers cornerback Alfonso Dennard were ejected for throwing punches at each other after a play in the 3rd quarter.
ESPN 1080 Insider Carson Ingle joinsEric Lopezto breakdown South Carolina win over Nebraska from the Citrus Bowl
South Carolina Postgame Press Conference with Steve Spurrier, Connor Shaw and Alshon Jeffrey
Nebraska Postgame Press Conference with Head Coach Bo Pelini
Capital One Bowl news and Notes
- Check out defensive star Melvin Ingram postgame video on the field following the win right here
- Here postgame video of South Carolina's Kenny Miles right here.
- Attendance was 61, 351. That isabout seven thousand less then the Champs Sports bowl matchup between Florida State and Notre Dame drew on thursday night.
- Alshon Jeffery had his 12th 100-yard receiving game, breaking the South Carolina school record. He also caught his 23rd career touchdown pass, tying Sidney Rices school record.
- South Carolina (11-2) won 11 games in a season for the first time in school history and will likely be a top 10 or top 15 team nationally to start next season.Here is South Carolina 2012 schedule.
Aug. 30 (Thursday) at Vanderbilt
Sept. 8 vs. East Carolina
Sept. 15 vs. Alabama-Birmingham
Sept. 22 vs. Missouri
Sept. 29 at Kentucky
Oct. 6 vs. Georgia
Oct. 13 at LSU
Oct. 20 at Florida
Oct. 27 vs. Tennessee
Nov. 3 OPEN
Nov. 10 vs. Arkansas
Nov. 17 vs. Wofford
Nov. 24 at Clemson
-Nebraska (9-4) ended the season by losing three of its last five games. It was also the Huskers second straight bowl loss. Here some notable games for Nebraska in 2012:
9-1-12 vs Southern Miss
9-8-12 at UCLA
9-29-12 vs Wisconsin
10-6-12 at Ohio State
10-27-12 vs Michigan
11-3-12 at Michigan State