On Thursday Conference USA announced its preliminary television schedule for the 2012 football season. The Knights learned a couple of weeks ago the start times for the opener at Akron and the September 8th game at Ohio State as well as where it would be televised. Here below is the breakdown of UCF 2012 schedule.
Thursday August 30- at Akron- 7pm on ESPN3.Com
Saturday Saturday September 8- at Ohio State- Noon on ESPN 2
Saturday September 15 – vs FIU – TBA on CSS
Saturday September 22 – Bye Week
Saturday September 29 – vs Missouri- TBA on FSN
Thursday October 4- vs East Carolina- 8pm on CBS Sports Network
Saturday October 13- vs Southern Miss- 8pm on CBS Sports Network
Saturday October 20- at Memphis – TBA on CSS
Saturday October 27- at Marshall- 8pm on CBS Sports Network
Saturday November 3 – vs SMU – 7pm on CBS Sports Network
Saturday November 10- at Utep- TBA/ No TV
Saturday November 17- at Tulsa – TBA on FSN
Saturday November 24- vs UAB- TBA on FSN
Here some observations and notes from the schedule below.
– Conference USA originally announced the FIU-UCF Game would be at Noon on the press release. However UCF Athletics announced the game to be TBA. I would not be suprised if UCF is behind the scenes trying to change the Noon kick off time with the conference and television networks as they do not want a Noon game in September from an attendance stand point. UCF AD/Communications Andy Seeley told UCFSports.com’s Brandon Helwig about the situation on twitter the following on Thursday. “Just spoke to the conference office. They said to stick with TBA, so that’s what I’m going with.”
UCF Head Football Coach George O’Leary in the past has said he prefers earlier start times as he does not want his team waiting all day to play.
– October 20th game at Memphis will more then likely be a 330pm kick time as UCF has alot of night games before and after the Memphis game which is not a marquee game.
-November 3 is shaping up to be the biggest day in college football regular season and UCF-SMU drew the misfortune of being put at 7pm which will basically go head to head against Alabama-LSU Game which will be 8pm kick on CBS and USC-Oregon which will kick off at 8pm on ABC. UCF will also have tough competition in the state as Florida will host Missouri that day which will more then likely be a 330pm or 7pm kick off on CBS or ESPN.
– The SMU game is also UCF Homecoming game which normally in the past has been an afternoon game. Interesting to see how the night game will effect all the homecoming activities that night and attendance.
– November 10th game at Utep has no television, Utep always plays night home games so I will predict this to be a 8pm kick off time it least if not later. November 10 also is the same day that UCF Men’s Basketball will play at South Florida at the new rebuilt Sun Dome.
– November 24 is the same weekend as Florida-Florida State game in Tallahassee. It is the third time UCF will end the regular season with a home against UAB with the others coming in 2006 which was the last home game at the Citrus Bowl and in 2008.
– 2012 is the Knights last season in Conference USA . It should not be a suprise that the schedule is very tough especially with the late start times on the road and back to back road trips to Utep and Tulsa near the end of the season.