2014 Winter Olympics: Sochi 2014 by numbers
Tonight you can watch the Opening Ceremony, 7:30 p.m. on NBC. Sochi, Russia a seaside resort on the Black Sea welcome the world to the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Lets go inside the numbers on these games:
- 30 - the cost in billions of staging Sochi 2014, more than all the previous 21 Winter Olympics combined.
- 40,000 - the distance in miles covered in the longest torch relay in Olympic history.
- 531 - the weight in grams of the gold medals, which are made up of 525 grams of silver and six grams of gold.
- 98 - the number of gold medals on offer across 15 disciplines.
- 2,900 - the number of athletes, from 85 countries, competing in Sochi
Canada, Norway, Russia and the United States are considered the likeliest candidates to top the Sochi medal count.
Russia has drafted 37,000 police and security officers to handle security in Sochi, but that has not done much to assuage fears.
Toothpaste terror: A day after the United States warned of howexplosive materials could be concealed in toothpaste or cosmetic tubes, its government Thursday temporarily banned all liquids, gels, aerosols and powders in carry-on luggage on flights between the United States and Russia.
U.S. partnership: U.S. authorities are working with Russia and other countries to try to disrupt several possible threats, including the toothpaste tube concern, a U.S. intelligence source said Thursday.