- - http://www.sportstalkflorida.com -
2013 FSU NFL Draft Rewind
Posted By David Botello On May 3, 2013 @ 3:35 PM In 1040 Sports,College,Florida News,Insider Main,Insider Show,Legacy,main feature,NFL,Sports Media | 2 Comments
TALLAHASSEE - The reigning Atlantic Coast Conference and Discover Orange Bowl champions set another school record as 11 Florida State players were selected in the 2013 NFL Draft. The Seminoles closed out the draft with six selections between the fifth and seventh rounds.
“It’s a great indication of how the program is truly developing,” FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher  said regarding leading the nation with 11 draftees. “I think it shows we’re getting back to national prominence. Our players are doing a great job of representing themselves on and off the field leading to chances at the next level. I think we’re going to have more guys sign free agent contracts and get a chance to play professionally. I’m proud of those guys as well. I’m happy for all of these guys and want to thank them for helping return this program back to the national spotlight.”
The Seminoles also led the nation with the most players selected. LSU and Alabama each had nine players taken while Georgia and Florida finished with eight players drafted. The 11 Seminoles chosen eclipse the previous record of 10 set in the 1995 NFL Draft. FSU also matched the ACC record, which Miami carried from the 2002 draft with 11 selections.
Running back Chris Thompson  and defensive end Brandon Jenkins , who both suffered season-ending injuries in 2012, were taken in the fifth round by the Washington Redskins. Thompson was the 154th pick while Jenkins was taken with the 162nd pick. The seven Seminoles to go in the first five rounds were the most since the 2006 season.
Three more FSU players were taken in the sixth round as NCAA record setting kicker Dustin Hopkins  joined quarterback EJ Manuel  in the Buffalo Bills’ draft class. Hopkins was taken with the 177th pick. Linebacker Nick Moody  was taken with the 180th pick by the San Francisco 49ers joining second round pick Cornellius “Tank” Carradine in San Francisco. The Pittsburgh Steelers selected linebacker Vince Williams  with the final pick in the sixth round.
Defensive tackle Everett Dawkins  was the final FSU player taken as he went in the seventh round to the Minnesota Vikings with the 229th pick.
Noting the Noles’ 2013 NFL Draft
– FSU led the nation with 11 players selected in the NFL Draft. LSU and Alabama each followed with nine while Florida and Georgia each had eight players selected.
– The 11 Seminoles taken in the 2013 draft set a school record surpassing the 1995 NFL Draft when FSU had 10 players go in the first five rounds which also included three first round picks – DE Derrick Alexander (Minnesota Vikings, 11th), DB Devin Bush (Atlanta Falcons, 26th), LB Derrick Brooks (Tampa Bay Bucs, 28th).
– The five Seminoles to go in the first two rounds and first 42 picks are the most in school history. It’s also the most players chosen from one college in the first 45 picks since Alabama had five selected in the first 35 picks in the 2012 NFL Draft. Since 2000, only five schools have had at least five players selected in the first 45 picks. USC accomplished the feat twice in 2006 and 2008, while Miami in 2002 and Michigan in 2001 all had five selections. Miami set the record with six first round selections in the 2004 NFL draft.
– The trio of quarterback EJ Manuel  (16th, Buffalo Bills), defensive end Bjoern Werner  (24th, Indianapolis Colts) and cornerback Xavier Rhodes  (25th, Minnesota Vikings) gave the Seminoles three first round selections for the first time since the 2006 NFL Draft when four FSU players were taken: Ernie Sims  (9th, Detroit Lions), Kamerion Wimbley  (13th, Cleveland Browns), Brodrick Bunkley  (14th, Philadephia Eagles) and Antonio Cromartie  (19th, San Diego Chargers).
– With three first round selections, Florida State now has 39 first round selections which are second-most in the ACC.
– Quarterback EJ Manuel  became the second highest drafted quarterback from Florida State and the first Seminole selected in the 2013 NFL Draft. Manuel is the third highest offensive player to go for the Noles since quarterback Christian Ponder  in 2011 and offensive lineman Alex Barron  in 2005. Ponder became the highest drafted quarterback in FSU history when he was taken with the 12th pick by the Minnesota Vikings in the 2011 NFL Draft. Before Ponder, Gary Huff was the highest drafted FSU QB as the 33rd overall pick in the 1967 draft.
– The last three starting quarterbacks to start multiple seasons under Jimbo Fisher  have been drafted in the first round – Jamarcus Russell at LSU (Oakland Raiders, 1st pick, 2007), Christian Ponder  (Minnesota Vikings, 12th pick, 2011) and EJ Manuel  (Buffalo Bills, 16th pick, 2013).
– Buffalo drafted two more Seminoles in the 2013 Draft as EJ Manuel  and Dustin Hopkins  became the eighth and ninth FSU players ever taken by the Bills. The Bills took two Seminoles in the 2012 NFL Draft: Nigel Bradham  (4th Round) and Zebrie Sanders  (5th Round). Manuel and Hopkins will join former Seminoles P Shawn Powell , DS Garrison Sanborn , LB Nigel Bradham  and OL Zebrie Sanders .
– Minnesota, San Franciso and Washington also each drafted two Seminoles in the 2013 NFL Draft. First round pick CB Xavier Rhodes  and seventh round pick DT Everett Dawkins  will join QB Christian Ponder  and DT Letroy Guion with the Vikings. Fifth round picks RB Chris Thompson  and DE/OLB Brandon Jenkins  were taken by the Redskin while second round pick DE Tank Carradine  and LB Nick Moody  are now 49ers. The Vikings and Redskins have drafted a Seminole in two of the last three drafts. Ponder was the 12th overall pick of Minnesota in 2011. Markus White , who is now with Tampa Bay, was a seventh round selection of the Redskins in 2011.
– Florida State has had a player chosen in each of the last 30 NFL Drafts or since 1983.
– Since 2006, or the year the ACC became a 12-team league, the ACC has had 21 defensive ends or outside linebackers chosen in the first or second rounds of the NFL draft, the most of any conference in the nation. In the same amount of time the Big Ten is next with 13 followed by the SEC (12), the Pac-12 (8) and the Big 12 and Big East with 6 apiece.
– Since 2006, Florida State has the most first round picks in the ACC with 10, followed by North Carolina (6), Boston College (5), Miami (5) and Virginia (4).
FSU In The 2013 NFL Draft
[youtube_sc url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUU2Wra8Hto” autohide=”1″]
Video Source: ACC Digital Network
Article Source: The Florida State University Athletics Department and Seminoles.com2013 FSU NFL Draft Rewind by David Botello
Article printed from : http://www.sportstalkflorida.com
URL to article: http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/2013-fsu-nfl-draft-rewind/
URLs in this post:
 Jimbo Fisher: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jimbo_fisher_284415.html
 Chris Thompson: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chris_thompson_459110.html
 Brandon Jenkins: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brandon_jenkins_406129.html
 Dustin Hopkins: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dustin_hopkins_459416.html
 EJ Manuel: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ej_manuel_464878.html
 Nick Moody: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nick_moody_356423.html
 Vince Williams: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/vince_williams_356421.html
 Everett Dawkins: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/everett_dawkins_459188.html
 Bjoern Werner: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bjoern_werner_707165.html
 Xavier Rhodes: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/xavier_rhodes_459154.html
 Ernie Sims: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ernie_sims_141293.html
 Kamerion Wimbley: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kamerion_wimbley_112385.html
 Brodrick Bunkley: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brodrick_bunkley_38880.html
 Antonio Cromartie: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/antonio_cromartie_86022.html
 Christian Ponder: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/christian_ponder_240707.html
 Alex Barron: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alex_barron_82208.html
 Nigel Bradham: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nigel_bradham_347540.html
 Zebrie Sanders: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/zebrie_sanders_356431.html
 Shawn Powell: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/shawn_powell_347543.html
 Garrison Sanborn: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/garrison_sanborn_257550.html
 Tank Carradine: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tank_carradine_749588.html
 Markus White: http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/markus_white_356445.html
Copyright © 2011 ESPN Florida. All rights reserved.